Friday, September 4, 2009

The day before the opening ceremony

It's been a hectic time the last two days since we arrived in Taipei. I finally got the chance to sit down and relax.

When we arrived to the hotel on wednesday, other athletic trainer, Robyn and I went out to lunch but we got lost walking around two blocks over and over trying to find a 'good' place to eat. Most of the restaurants look disgusting and unhealthy food. (remember, we cannot drink tap water outside of the hotel, or else it will cause diarrhea). So, we ended up being hungry and had to go with the soccer teams to City Hall to register and collect the badge and passes for the games. It took us 2 hours waiting to get ours. Anyway, while we were at the building, I went to the bathroom and I was about to wash my hands, and saw two guys from another country (I think Turkey, but I didnt recognize the flag). They were washing their hands for a long time, finally they washed their face and hair, and THEN, they took off their shoes and put their foot in the sink to wash their feet. I felt disgusted and ran away from the bathroom. I guess it is part of their culture or something that they do from their country.

Today was the big game day for men's soccer team. They played Ireland..... well we lost to them 0 to 2. We didnt play very well, and the soccer field was WET and puddles everywhere. Yeah, of course it was raining hard and typhoon is expected to come this weekend. When players try to pass the ball in the midfield, it suddenly stops due to the puddle in that area. Hopefully, we will bounce back and beat Japan on Sunday.

I want to share this experience with you working with an injured player that has go to the emergency room. A player got hit in the ribs and had trouble breathing and felt very dizzy so he passed out on the soccer field. When I got to him, he was conscious and saying that he felt like he was hit by a truck. We put him on a stretcher so the game can go on. When I was working with him, bunch of taiwanese medical staff came over here, and will probably have to go to the hospital for precautions, I TRIED to communicate with the taiwanese staff, and thankfully the international sign language interpreter came over, so she could communicate with me in sign language and lip reading, then she interprets to the Taiwanese interpreter, then translate to the medical staff. It was like a 4-way. It was just overwhelming working with the Taiwanese medical staff. In general, I had a tough time understanding them with their accent and speaking soft, and I guess they dont understand me as well.

That player just got out of the hospital, and got to the hotel room resting so he is okay but sore.


Later on, I will have to tell you more on communicating with fellow athletic trainers, team doctors, coaches and athletes later on. But I gotta go and check on that player, and head to the training room.

No comments:

Post a Comment