Wednesday, August 26, 2009

.zzzzz.....zzzzz..... Or counting my hairline on my head to see how many I have..

While at the gate 4 hours early prior to depart LAX. just kidding, I've been busy chatting with medical staff so I need a break. I get the chance to do the blog and see if I try to update it from my blackberry.

Just a bit warning, some of you know that I am not a night person so I probably won't think right and will proofread twice before I submit this post.

Today has been an interesting day. When we arrived Los Angeles, I had to help Ken carry 9 heavy (50 pound) bags that included all the soccer uniforms, and clothes. I was glad to help him since he couldn't do it all by himself. Anyway, we went to Westin Hotel(one of the sponsor for (USA Deaflympics) to register and gather all the cool stuff, the medical staff got Under Armour t-shirt, polo shirt, gym short, huge luggage, hat, and flip flop. We got jealous with the athletes that got nice full warm-up suits and under armour sneakers which is really cool. We were just wandering around and more athletes, coaches, medical staff, and reporters. I just met with the whole soccer teams (men and women) and the medical staff. We were just getting to know each other (8 athletic trainers, and 2 team doctors (family medicine and orthopedics). Me and other two guys are the only deaf athletic trainers and the rest are hearing but knows sign language. One of the team doctor (family medicine) is deaf and I am impressed that he is only 33 years old. We had a brief meeting and discuss which sports to cover, rules, medicine, supplies etc. Finally, the general meeting for everyone that need to know. Here is the flight intinerary from LAX to Taipei, Taiwan, we leave LAX at 1:40 am (Thursday, August 26th) and arrive Taipei at 6:35 am on Friday August 27th. Then, get in the bus and travel 3 hours to get to the training camp which is around noon. I know that we all are gonna be deadbeat, cranky and looking forward to SLEEP on a bed!

Oh by the way, interesting numbers....approximate 195 USA athletes and 40 support staff (coaches, medical staff and media) will fly in ONE plane. I have never rode in a plane with so MANY deaf/hard of hearing people! I had to admit that I had deaf culture shock.

Another website that you could watch games online. www.deaflympics.tv. I haven't looked at it yet.

I took some pictures and will put it on the blog when I check in at the hotel.

Good morning, good afternoon or Good night to yall since I am all confused with the time zones. I will figure it out when I get there. Later!

3 comments:

  1. well, good experience for you with deaf culture!!! :) I can only imagine all the hands flying around on the HUGE jumbo jet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Charlie sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie what a plane ride. I am going to Mimi's tomorrow for the Murdock reunion. Dad has school

    ReplyDelete